Welcome to the first week of Summer. Summer is the time when memories are made in flip flops and tank tops.
It’s easy to get carried away doing the things that give you pleasure in the summer sun. So if you happen to stay out too long and accidentally fry your skin, treat yourself to this summer sunburn relieving bath with wholesome apple cider vinegar. It will soothe your skin to ease your pain, and help it heal faster. That’s right, your bathtub is part of your first aid kit.
Vinegar is used to clean things too, so while you are bathing in your vinegar water you will be naturally cleaning the bathtub at the same time. Um. Yuk. Instead, put in your TUBSKY first and relieve the sunburn… Clean the bathtub later.
Here is how you do it:
• Fill up the tub as full as you would like to with cool water, maybe just a few degrees below body temperature (90 - 95). Cool enough to bring your skin temperature down and stop the cooking but warm enough to be comfortable.
• How much apple cider vinegar you put in depends on the acidity of the vinegar you are using. The amount of acetic acid in apple cider vinegars varies from 1 to 11 percent. A good rule of thumb is to put in just enough so that the smell is hardly noticeable. Too much and you may burn your skin in a different way. Feel free to add a few drops of essential oils, but not too much. Oil will trap the heat in your skin.
• Soak for 15 to 20 minutes.
• Air dry if you can so that you don’t irritate your skin and so the vinegar can dry on your skin.
Wait until the skin is calm – a day or two – before oiling or creaming it. We like to use hydrating misters on a healing sunburn. A current fave is Wild Desert Rose Hydrating Mist by the Wandering The West Apothecary®.
Apple cider vinegar baths have many other great benefits:
1. VITAMINS: Apple cider vinegar contains vitamin C and B vitamins, which help to nourish your body’s largest organ, your skin. By soaking in an apple cider vinegar bath your skin can absorb the vitamins leaving it feeling soft.
2. BALANCE YOUR SKIN’S PH LEVELS: Since apple cider vinegar is naturally acidic it can work to restore the pH level of your skin (which should be slightly acidic).
3. GIVE SHINE TO YOUR HAIR: Apple cider vinegar is a great hair detox. The acid works to eliminate oil that builds up on your hair. It can also help to reduce dandruff and split ends. After, your hair will feel soft and look shiny.
4. SOOTHE YOUR SKIN: Unlike regular body wash, apple cider vinegar can naturally kill any bacteria or fungus on your skin. It’s especially beneficial to people who suffer from eczema, dry skin, dandruff, and athlete’s foot. Its antibacterial properties can also work to knock out zits. Dab some on your face while in the bath to help with acne. Apple cider vinegar is also recommended for urinary tract infections. It can kill the yeast or fungus and will keep the area from getting infected.
5. ELIMINATE BODY ODOR: We develop body odor when the bacteria on our skin mixes with sweat or moisture from our body. Apple cider vinegar can kill the bacteria and eliminate the odor.
6. REDUCE JOINT PAIN: Relax and unwind after a long week filled with back, neck, and knee pain. Apple cider vinegar is known to help with joint pain. Take apple cider vinegar baths regularly to help your creaky knees.
Please take care of your health and your skin: Wear sunscreen.